Norma Audio REVO DS-1 DAC és CD lejátszó
The Norma REVO DS-1 digital source is an extremely interesting product, both for its outstanding technical content and for its noticeable modern versatility, obviously combined with the outstanding sound quality of the NORMA tradition.
In addition to a CD player section that represents the evolution of the REVO CDP-1R, the Norma REVO DS-1 source offers a complete set of digital inputs. As a matter of fact, there is both a full bandwidth USB input (192.0 KHz) as well as 4 x SPDIF inputs, coaxial, optical and XLR. Therefore, all the features you expect in an advanced digital source are available within a single chassis and they are able to meet even the most demanding user’s needs with no limitations, both in terms of versatility as well as of listening quality. The same conversion section and the same output stages that made the REVO CDP-1R unique, famous and appreciated, are used in REVO DS-1, enabling it to reach the top echelon in both build quality and sound reproduction.
In recent times we have witnessed the proliferation of DACs for computer-sourced music, designed around the parameters of a computer applied as a transport and the cost reductions demanded by the market has generally resulted in a detriment of the potential sonic performance of high-resolution devices. In this case, Norma has created a ‘universal machine’ which is highly sophisticated in all the aspects relevant to sound quality. You can finally truly appreciate the actual quality of high-resolution files, without the limitations imposed by inadequate implementation.
The Norma REVO DS-1 enables the user to manage and store all digital parameters independently for each input. For instance, it is possible to enable the over-sampling feature at any frequency as the user wishes as well as disable it if undesired. It is also possible to select the Master Clock source between the low-jitter local oscillator and the input signal’s one. It is also possible to vary the up-sampling parameters, the digital filter’s response, the absolute phase and the volume of the output signal. All of this can be carried out both via the local controls as well as by remote control.
The Norma REVO DS-1 is a highly relevant and super competent modern digital source. If you want to play your CDs, fine. If you decide to rip them to a computer and you want to play them that way, that’s fine too. If you want to play 24/192 files downloaded from the internet, that’s fine as well. You will take comfort in the knowledge that no matter which way you source your digital music, you will be experiencing a sound quality and enjoyment that is well beyond expectations.
- TEAC CD Player Mechanism with 5 seconds read buffer off
- Switching between CD player and DAC modes
- 5 digital inputs, USB, 2 x SPDIF RCA, SPDIF OPTICAL & AES-EBU
- USB input and SPDIF full bandwidth up to 24 Bit / 192 kHz
- Possibility to select the oversampling frequency 44.1-48.0-88.2-96.0-176.4-192.0 kHz or AUTO
- Possibility to customise for each digital input all parameters, including the value of oversampling
- Possibility to use as the master A/D clock source the local oscillator or the clock form input signal
- Two separate local clock oscillators for the two values: 22MHz / 24 MHz (44.1 / 48kHz)
- Local oscillator high stability, low Jitter and low phase noise
- Possibility to configure one of the 2 RCA inputs as digital output
- Two PCM 24 Bit Digital to Analogue converter
- Digital filter x8 oversampling
- User selectable filter roll-off (Sharp & Slow)
- Proprietary I-V architecture conversion
- Analogue output stage based with full discrete devices amplifier
- Extreme low noise, high resolution and high speed schematic topology
- Wide band (>2 MHz) schematic topology
- RCA and Balanced output connection
- Separate power supply for Digital and Analogue Output stage
- High filtering capacity with numerous low impedance capacitors
- 13 separate power supply regulators
- Full aluminium non-magnetic frame
- Toroidal transformer specially designed for audio applications
- Remote control of all functions
- PCM 1704 Multibit 24 Bit D/A converter
- 75 x 430 x 350 mm
Hi-Fi+, Alan Sircom, 2014
“It has a rich, refined midrange that gives instruments a sense of harmonic finesse and builds up and down from there. It doesn’t tame – I played Janis Joplin’s Pearl album [Columbia] both through CD and USB and it gives her raucous energy full throat (which is saying something; her vocal chords were fully weaponised by then) – it just gives body and structure, and that holds throughout.”
The Absolute Sound, Alan Sircom, 2014
“But a good digital source should be a discreet and ideal match for the amplifier, and the DS-1 is just that. Those filter and up-sampling options just make the DS-1 a match for more amplifiers.”
Srajan Ebaen, 6 Moons, 2013
“Whilst despite clear longevity Norma still isn’t as well-known as brands with more and far louder advertising, the material evidence of these components speaks persuasively to top-shelf manufacturing and clear design maturity.”